This time I used purple cotton from DN2’s dress and the contrast from DN1’s dress for the ties, waistband and pocket facings. After my last post and fiddling with the side zipper, I’ve decided that Burda’s instructions are just fine and easy to do. There’s a little bit of fiddling at the bottom of the invisible zip, but that’s always the case with invisible zips, I find. It’s hard to get the bottom to flow perfectly into the seam below the zipper.
I added the back patch pockets on this version, and picked up the red and yellow from the contrast fabric in the topstitching. I did the hems in a double row of red and yellow stitching, too. They fit a little on the big side (I cut a straight 36, which is her size), but here’s hoping she’ll get a two summers’ wear out of them before I have to make another lot.
Anyways, DD1 is happy to be wearing these today. These shorts are about a 3 hour project if you do all the pockets, side zipper and other little trimmings. I must say, turning four little ties for the sides took almost as long as putting in the zipper. Go figure.