I really wanted to participate in the jungle that was January. I had a jungle Tiramisu in the mental planning stages to be done prior to my vacation, but it just never happened because, well, life happens regularly with three children at home during holidays. I’m not whining, I’m just stating a fact that all moms understand: Plans change, interruptions happen constantly, and, well, projects don’t materialize!
But I am pleased to say, that despite the horrid cold (and y’all know reptiles go comatose in the cold) that I’ve managed to wake this one up and convince it to be sewn and photographed. Hooray!!! I finished it last night. I hate being late, but in this case, I’m happy with the very annoying adage that’s titling this post. ‘Cuz I really like this loose trenchy take on a silk chiffon blouse from Burda 9/2010 #114. I wasn’t sure this would work – the trench style as a chiffon blouse – and thought I’d experiment. Then, of course, I realized that it just had to work. I used shell buttons, and you can see the cuff tabs with working buttonholes.
There is virtually no shape to this blouse, but it floats about beautifully while being worn. The back is very loose-fitting with a deep 8 inch pleat.
I did my standard FBA and left it at that. I debated about making it a bit more fitted, but it’s nice to have a different silhouette in my closet.
And the sleeves gave me grief – Burda’s ALWAYS give me grief. Vogue’s shoulders fit me perfectly, but Burda’s require a bit of alteration. I always have to re-draft the armscye, adding 1 inch (2.5 cm) of width at the shoulder blades, and taking out the same amount on the front. It’s like Burda’s sleeves are drafted for narrow backs and very broad pectorals. In my mind, I think they have the shape of the armscye and sleeve head reversed: the width that should be in the back is in the front in their set-in sleeves.
Yes, that’s construction – my kitchen is about to be renovated, and DD1’s graffiti art is the only thing left on the art wall! Anyways, after futzing with that fitting problem (because I didn’t do a toile, of course!!! *handforehead*) it’s done and ready to wear!