Pattern Review: Burda 09-2010-112

You know how when you’re shopping you make an impulse buy?  Well, this is an impulse project.  I had some extra fabric from the wrap top (blogged here) and thought to myself, “Hey!  This is an interesting skirt.  I wonder what it would look like done up in this paisley. After all, Burda’s version looks pretty unique.”

b skirt

So what do you think?  There’s a lot of fabric in this skirt, all pleated across the hips, but I think it’s wearable.

B 09-2010-112 full front

It was simple enough to put together.  I sewed up version A, which has an attached underskirt.  Burda suggests using the fashion fabric for both layers, which would make sense if you were making this up in batiste, as they did, but I used rayon bemberg lining.

b 09-2010-112 underskirt

You don’t see it much when you’re wearing it, but I’m sure it will be insurance against wardrobe malfunction when I sit down in it.

Burda suggested using grosgrain or petersham ribbon for the waist.  This is something I’ve seen them use a lot for skirts, and I thought I’d give it a try.  It’s certainly less fussy than cutting, interfacing and finishing a waistband from the fashion fabric.

b 09-2010-112 waistband

And I’m pleased with the results.  I used a 2” wide ribbon for this. Very simple to put on – just pin the waistline to the bottom edge of the petersham, edgestitch, turn the top down, enclosing the waistline seam edge, and edgestitch into place again.  Hmm!  Who knew waistbands could be so darn easy?

B 09-2010-112

Last project of 2010

015

Well, today is the last of 2010, and it’s been a fun one.  I started this blog, made new sewing friends, learned from fellow sewing bloggers, participated in Self-Stitched September and had a great time sewing up my stash and planning new projects. 

This shirt is Simplicity 4076 made up in a crushed velour as half of the birthday gift promised to a friend of mine back in November.  The other half is a new version of my very first BurdaStyle – number 09-2010-111B.  I made it up in a heavier crushed velour in a deep burgundy that sometimes looks like magenta.  It sewed up beautifully.  I did change the sleeves, though, as after wearing mine all fall, the ties on the sleeves are VERY annoying.  So I did my friend a favour and left them out. 

018

I cut the sleeves a good 4 inches shorter than the pattern – it’s just to much extra fabric for a heavy velour like this.  Then I gathered 6 inches of the sleeve length from the cuff into a 3 inch length and stitched the gathers so they won’t move around.  I think it’s a much more practical take on this pattern.  The fabric is very luxurious looking and very plush to the feel.  I hope she likes it!

PC310001

And lastly for this year, I had hoped to finish up this little quirky and spontaneously-decided-upon skirt from Burda September 2010.

B 09-2010-112 drawing

On a whim, after cutting out the blouse 111B from the paisley fabric, I thought it would look interesting in the faux-wrap style skirt.

B 09-2010-112

It’s got a lot of pleats – two layers of them in the overlap across the front.  I may regret this once it’s sewn up, but hey – it wouldn’t be the first time I thought something would be interesting and then it wasn’t so interesting on me when it was completed!

Well, that’s the last of the sewing for this year.  I look forward to more in 2011, and sharing and learning from you all.  God bless you, dear reader, one and all!