Cavalli Part III: shell construction


I’m still working on it.  I can’t believe it’s almost the end of March and I’m not done this ridiculous coat.  But I’m still working on it….

cavalli lined weltBecause the fabric is so bulky, I lined the welts instead of using two layers to keep things as thin as possible.  I also, for a lark, used the reverse side of the fabric and the selvedge as the edge, again to eliminate as much bulk as possible.  The selvedge has this funky fringe thing happening, and I actually trimmed most of it off the edges of the fabric to use as a trim on some future project or other. cavalli weltUnfortunately my crazy idea is hidden by the pocket flaps.  I worked to carefully match the pattern…. well, at the front of the flaps, anyways.  It was time consuming… I think I cut one flap 5 times before I was happy with the pattern match.

cavalli flap

I finished up today setting in the sleeves.  I’ve ordered silk charmeuse for the lining, so I’ll work on the collar and cuffs next while I wait for that to arrive in the mail.  I’ve cut into the fur.. now I just have to plan it so I get as many spots as possible….. into the fur

Tomorrow I’m planning a lovely afternoon with my good friend Lisa, who makes jewellry.  I’ll be smocking my DD3’s Easter dress, so the cuffs and collar of this coat will have to wait until later this week.

3 thoughts on “Cavalli Part III: shell construction

  1. Well of course it is late, you were busy kitting out Cinderella! No matter, you just super organised for next winter. I love you pocket trim idea. It looks great. It’s the kind of thing I will file in the back of my mind in case I ever get the chance to use it.


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s