I thought I’d share some details regarding the collar construction of this coat. The picture above shows how one cuts fur – with a very sharp blade. My furrier gave me two, and it’s amazing how nicely they cut. They also dull very quickly. I’ve used one on just my little bits of collar and cuff and it’s lost it’s extra sharp edge.
Here’s the wrong and right side of the pelt I chose to use for one of the cuffs. I wanted my cuffs to be about 3” wide, so I’ve trimmed the pelts in order to get all the spots and not so much of the brown back fur.
As mentioned in a previous post, there are no seam allowances when working with fur, so you have to create them with twill tape. I used selvedge from medium-weight muslin.
The trick is to keep all the fur away from the edge of the pelt so that it will lie free from the seam. A zigzag stitch is perfect, as it catches the edge of the pelt and tape and can also lie relatively flat when opened or stitched to the garment.
After stitching the fur to the undercollar, I really needed to understitch it. So I used a bold overcast stitch to keep the twill tape in place.
Here is the undercollar with the fur fully attached. You can see the twill tape edging, but I’m not really concerned about it since the fur is long and will cover this up. I’m also not too worried about it because I can see the about 1/8” of the twill tape where my furrier attached the fur collar to my leather jacket. All that matters is that it’s secure and not visible through the fur.
I decided to attach the fur directly to the sleeves for the cuff as this would eliminated a lot of fabric bulk. And I wanted the fur to be secure, not moving around. I would probably have to tack a lined fur cuff to the sleeve to keep it in place, so why bother with the extra work of lining it? Simple and effective is good in my sewing books.
I measured the width of the pelt between the muslin strips and marked the corresponding measurement (3 1/4”) from the cuff. Then I carefully pinned the muslin strip to the sleeve, making sure that all the fur is away from the seamline. I wanted the muslin strip on the bottom of the cuff to actually turn to the inside, as I intend to make the lining flush with the sleeve edge.
Then I turned the cuff down, folded the remaining muslin strip over the sleeve bottom, and securely stitched it into place on the inside of the sleeve.
Now all that’s left is the hem and the lining, which still has not arrived. *Sigh* However, I shall finish up the outer shell for this and go onto something simple for a palate cleanser!