I must confess this dress almost had me crying the other night. I had mocked up the 6th – read SIXTH – version of the bodice, had the cups shaped and the twill tape in the neckline and asked my DH to hold the back closed while I tried it on. It so did not fit. *hung head* Talk about frustrating.The fifth muslin I thought fit just a little too big, so I self-fit it in front of a mirror. I’m don’t have pictures, which is probably a mercy. But I was confident in the fit, so merrily went on my way making it up. Just as I was ready to cut the skirt and attach it to the bodice, I thought I’d just try it on again. Y’know, just to make sure so that I didn’t have a beautifully finished dress that didn’t fit. My DD1 asked me how it was going, and I told her I was going to have a beautiful dress, but I didn’t know if I’d be keeping it because it might not fit! So sadly true when I tried on Version #6. *cue copious sobbing*
Back to the drawing board again. This time I went back to Version #5, which I thought was too big. It’s still a little big, but at least the coverage is good and I don’t fall out of it! I basted the skirt to the bodice and tried it on to see if it’s worth continuing. I am so pleased that it actually fits! I’ll have pictures of me in it once it’s completely finished.
The fabric is not exactly what I wanted to make this dress up in, but I had enough of it in my stash to make three of them if such waste was necessary to get the fit right. My goal is not necessarily to have a dress that I’ll wear (although I think I will wear this), but to tweak the bodice fitting so that I have a TNT pattern to use at will. I do have a Liberty of London Ros in red and some tweed that I’d love to make this up in. I’m just satisfied that I’ve cracked this nut that almost made me cry “Nuff!”