Request Gown is Complete!

Well, peeps, I am really happy to write that the Request Gown is finished and happily delivered.  Oy!  What a learning and stretching process this was.  At many times during the last hours of work on it I thought, “If this was for me, I’d have wadded it a long time ago.”  But I couldn’t.  I had to figure it out, problem solve and make it work for this morning, when it was due!  Which is a good thing, because it pushed me outside my comfort zone and into areas that were really very s-c-c-a-a-r-r-y!  And I learned that I really love/hate the challenge of making something work.  Love it because it’s new and interesting; hate it because it makes me work and cry and realize the craters in the surface of my sewing skills.  DSCN0568

The dress is actually a lot darker than the photo – a French navy – which is so close to black that it photographed like black:  impossibly.  The fabric is a heavy poly crepe, but one of those super nice ones with excellent weight and drape. The front and back are mirror versions:  draped with pleating pulled into a circular inset at the left waist and draped/pleated fabric on the right shoulder.  It has a side zip on the right side which was simple to insert as the seam is a plain seam.  (whew!) DSCN0571There is also a thigh-high slit over the front of the left leg, and this is where my grief began.  I needed to have 7 button/loops at the top, and didn’t want a seam running down the side of the skirt from the bottom of the inset only.  It would have been ideal to do it like that and later on when the hemline went all AWOL because of the drape/grainline I really wished I’d cut it as two pieces.  But I decided to treat it as an extra-long welt with the loops at the top.  Here’s my process, for those who are interested, beginning with the marking of the slit line.slit bastingI stitched with a 1.2 stitch length, 1/8″ on either side of the markings, up the side that would hold the button loops until about 2.5″ from the top of the slit. facing slit

Basted my bias loops together into one piece.  I like working with little fiddly loops, by the way. The first time I ever did a dress with loops I was about 14, and I was hooked.  Smile

button loops

Pin basted them into place.

basted loops

Lay the facing over the loops, stitched up to the top of the slit.

slit reinforcingI opened up the facing to see all the little tail ends of the loops, and trimmed them to less than 1/8″ because I needed to stitch down the other side of the welt and didn’t want the ends to be caught in the seam.loop ends

This is what they look like from the right side.

loops

Once the other side of the welt was stitched – again 1/8″ away from the marking – I slashed the welt open very very carefully.

IMG_4096welt

And understitched both sides.

understitching

Finished.  slit weltJust a note:  after the penultimate fitting, it was decided the slit needed to be 1 inch higher, so I had to unpick and redo the top of the welt/slit with the loops.  Needless to say, the second go at the loops was perfection.  The little piece of beige by the top button in the pic is the dress form.slit

The slit made hemming a bit of challenge.  After weeping and wailing in frustration because it just WOULD NOT hang straight, a lot of finicky eye-balling and learning a lot about the combined effects of grain/drape/fabric weight, I managed to get it perfect.  It’s not hanging properly on Vintage because she leans forward (!?). 

The sleeves are split and closed with self-covered buttons and bias loop closures.  They looked like this prior to being set.completely sleeveThis is what they looked like once they were in.  On a person, they fall apart and are held together at the centre by the button/loops.  Vintage just doesn’t handle modeling very well. *sigh*  But I’m sure you get the point.gown back

The dress turned out beautifully, despite my wanting to take scissors to it at numerous stages.  As I made very clear before I took any of these Request Garments on, I am a far cry from a professional dressmaker, but I’m pleased with the dress, and so is the Requestor.  Learning like this is hard slogging!

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Request Gown is Complete!

  1. Wonderful dress, I really like the loop detail at the top of the slit …and you had to redo it. That would have been my meltdown point. I enjoy problem solving and the learning process when I am not under pressure. OMG, if it had to happen with a client waiting for a finished garment. You have my admiration!

    1. Thanks, Audrey! To be honest, I would never have pushed through the learning process if it was a required project, so this is a good lesson all ’round. I know a few things about myself that I didn’t prior to taking on this project.

  2. Another wonderful epic garment and I love the loop effect. Gosh you are brave and clever :o)

    Thank you for the loop tute too – I now see why I am persevering with practicing welt pockets…. you never know when a technique can come in handy.

  3. Another excellent ‘epic’ work…worth every tear and head rush! Looks divine. It was fascinating to follow along ….and I agree with Bernadette….your name should be changed to Saint Mezzo!

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s