Have you all survived the Christmas whirl of food, gifts, visiting; repeat? Our Christmas consisted of a rambunctious Christmas Eve (with requisite ball skirts) and a very quite Christmas Day in PJs. And today is our first 6 inches of snow! *happy happy snow dance* Now it feels like Christmas! 🙂
Last week, in the middle of the preparation rush, I made up a winter version of Vogue 1250, simply because I had extra of “the ugliest fabric I’ve ever seen”, according to DD3. But how could I refuse when it’s full of interesting patterns and so many of my favourite colours? It’s a heavier ITY knit from EmmaOneSock. It’s a patchwork pattern that is printed in blocks, and I thought it would be great for a casual Burda top.
I used #130 from the 9/2012 issue. It was sewn on a whim, and literally took about 1 hour to cut and sew, with fitting towards the end. I significantly altered the pattern as you’ll see.
The top is 30 inches from the back neck. I didn’t want a tunic that long, so I shortened it to 24 inches. It’s also very loose fitting, and I didn’t want to need to wear a belt, so I scaled down a size through my hips. I wanted it to stay at hip level and not slide down to mid-thigh length.
The instructions were very simple to follow, for me, but I’m getting used to Burda’s way of writing, I think. They suggested trimming the seam allowance from the back neckline, adding ribbon to the right side of the seamline, turning it in and stitching it into place. I used a strip of the ITY cut on the cross grain instead – simply a personal preference!
I added about 3 inches to the depth of the neck facing so there’s no risk of the wrong side flipping out.
And sandwiched the facing with the shoulder seams.
This is in the instructions, and it’s a great and easy way to attach a cowl facing neatly and securely.
I shortened the sleeves and did gather the bottom. It would have been bulky in the ITY, and my previous experience with such gathered sleeves is annoying for my current work requirements around the house!
The Vogue dress is odd, but I’m liking the oddness of it. When I put it on to check fitting, DH remarked that it was a nice dress.
Unfortunately, I didn’t quite have enough fabric, so the skirt is one size smaller than it should be. To remedy this, I stitched the “side seams” (very long darts in reality) with a 1/4″ seam allowance and added a 2 inch strip down the CB of the skirt. It’s not the prettiest, but it fits and looks nice from the front! *head desk* I’m hoping no one will be looking at the back much, although it doesn’t seem to be such a horrid patch fix given the patchwork print.