I’ve tried again. I was so hyped after making my first pair of jeans that I wanted to try again, only this time I was going to try to fix those pesky smile lines in the back. And I wanted a pair that was heavily topstitched in a dark indigo denim. The fabric is from my stash – a length of stretch denim blend purchased at a roll end party from Emma One Sock this past year.
cocky distracted this time around and didn’t measure properly, so this is a rescue post. First, I had to add width. Yup. I wanted a pair of jeans that fit a little looser than my previous pair, but I didn’t add the extra inch or two of width when I cut. *headdesk* So, after offering them to DD1 and DD2 (neither of whom were particularly enthused about a new pair of mom-made jeans) I put them aside and went to bed. For the second day. During the night, of course, inspiration arrived and I added a strip about 1 3/8 inch wide down the sides. Piece work was required because I was using scraps.I was pretty dayum pleased with myself for this little bit of ingenious rescuing. Of course it turned the jeans into dress jeans because the legs are wider than I wanted them to be. My DH thinks they’re too wide. I will not pick out all that topstitching, so they’re staying wide. *humph*But let me tell you, I had a saaaagaaaa of fitting frustration that drove me to distraction. They’re still not the way I want them to fit, but they’re pretty good. And I think I’ve finally figured out how to fix those lovely little smile lines. Of course, I learned it too late for this particular pair. But I now know.And they’re too short, damn it. I wonder how stupid they’d look with a hemline add-on…Y’know… maybe something a bit flared and cut on the bias, because that’s all the scraps I have left!