I’m avoiding my blue dress while I make up summer weather appropriate bottoms for DD3. She needed shorts, and she wanted them in denim, which is so appropriate since I’ve had a few runs at making a jean-style bottom recently! I used leftover yardage from my first pair of Jalie jeans for the dark pair. I didn’t distress them – just focused on fun topstitching.I used the trouser pattern Burda 6/2011 #110 and shortened the pattern to a mid-thigh length (inseam is about 4 inches hemmed). DD3 is quite conservative in her choice of style, and doesn’t like short shorts. I chose this pattern because of the 5-pocket jean styling, and because it’s drafted for non-stretch fabrics. Both my fabrics are stretch denim, but I wanted the extra wearability factor, which (I hope) will mean they will still fit her next year. She’s only 11 years old, but she’s as tall as I am and wearing the same size as DD1, who turns 16 this month. She’s going to be a taaaaaall girl. (I’m jealous in a proud sort of way.)
I put the coin pocket on the patterned denim, although you can’t see it at all and it’s too small to be functional for anything other than a coin. DH thought I was out of my mind trying to match the motifs for the back pockets and suggested it would be better if I centred each one over a motif and just applied them whichever way. Here’s the result:I think that pattern is so busy no one would pay attention to these details while they’re being worn. Lucky for me, because I’m not sure his idea worked to my satisfaction! And just ‘cuz this is a sewing blog, here’s one of the two fly zips. Next up on her summer wish list: blue camo!