DD1 is attending a 16th birthday party for one of her friends, and the dress code was “all in black”. Perfect excuse for making a new dress, right? Never mind that she’s never owned a little black dress.
She chose this style from Burda September 2014. It’s basically a strapless, boned bodice with a short-ish (21″) gathered dirndl skirt and a lace upper bodice. We went with black silk shantung and spider-web lace from stash. I muslined the bodice, and then used the adjusted muslin as the pattern and underlining for the silk. The cotton lining contains the spiral steel bones, which I fell-stitched to the bodice proper. I added a petersham waist stay, and an additional small stay across the top of the bodice behind the invisible zipper to facilitate zipping-up ease and prevent zipping up skin. The lace is bound in chiffon bias strips. I shortened the front upper lace bodice by about 2 inches. The left shoulder is fastened with a loop and button.The skirt is basically a rectangle gathered into the bodice. I lined it with bemberg, and finished the hem with purple lace. Mostly because I didn’t have any black lace.This was a 2-day project – crunch time, in terms of sewing hours. And there was a lot of hand sewing, mostly due to my personal choice of construction.I’m pleased with the fit. DD1 is dancing 20+ hours per week and is extremely fit these days, but I deliberately cut the bodice with about 1.5 inches (4cm) ease spread out over all 6 seams so she can wear this for a few years.