DD3 needed a new Christmas dress this past season because she is growing like a weed. She’s 11 years old and is 5’6″. Apparently, according to an interactive exhibit at Science North, she’s going to be 5’11” by the time she’s finished growing. Lucky girl!
She chose a beautiful turquoise/black shot silk shantung, and the Sewaholic Cambie dress.
I muslined the bodice (much more satisfying experience than sewing for myself, I confess), and should have made more adjustments than I did. Am I the only person who hates vertical bust darts? I can NEVER get the bodice to fit well when a bodice is drafted like this. *roar of frustration* I obviously don’t know what I’m doing. However, in order to keep this simple and not drive myself crazy, I rotated a necessary side dart into the original dart. I probably should have done an FBA properly, but all her measurements point to fitting the bodice perfectly without adjustments for the bust. UGH.
I underlined the bodice front, back and the sleeves with the muslin.
I lined the bodice and waistband with cotton voile, and hand picked the understiching along the bodice edge.
I also added a waist stay and hanging ribbons. I know the muslin is strong, but the ribbons will just keep the stress of gravity on the waistband instead of the sleeves.
I decided to bind the hem with bemberg because I had nothing suitable in stash and didn’t feel like running to the store.
She loved her dress, and looked so grown up in it. This is the only picture I managed to snag of her in it, awaiting the arrival of family for the big Christmas Eve celebration.