I’ve made another jumpsuit, albeit for DD3, this time ’round.
She wanted to be Rosie the Riveter for Hallowe’en, and I offered to make her a denim jumpsuit if she agreed to it becoming part of her wearable wardrobe. She gave it a few days’ thought, and said yes. Yay! After scouring Burda’s website, she loved the May 2010 jumpsuit best, so I found the magazine and purchased it via eBay from Germany last week. In a perfectly-timed coincidence, Fabricland emailed me a coupon for 50% off any single cut of fabric, and I used it for 4 metres of stretch cotton denim, purchased last Friday. The Burda magazine arrived on Tuesday, and I’ve been sewing ever since. Today she wore it to school.
The pattern is pretty straight forward, but, because the magazine is in German and Google translate is horrible for sewing terms, I didn’t follow the directions. And I made some changes: I put a proper placket and cuff onto the long sleeves; left off the epaulets; and omitted the elasticized hems on the trousers.
My DD3 loves blue, and wanted blue buttons and blue top stitching. The shirt pockets are faux, although I made fully functioning buttonholes because I don’t like the look of buttons sewn over faux buttonholes. I think it looks unfinished.
The trouser portion of the jumpsuit runs large.. surprisingly. I cut DD3’s recommended size, and then narrowed each side seam of the trousers 3 cm to get a good fit. No other changes were made to the pattern. In retrospect, I’d lengthen the back crotch length, but she hasn’t changed out of it since coming home from school, so it must be comfortable.
Oh, and, because it’s a jumpsuit, here’s another jump!