About one month ago I was asked if I made custom dresses. I demurred, but the emails persisted, so I gave a quote for the job once I’d seen the dress I was to copy.
But I can tell you that the bodice looked like a very bad attempt to copy an Herve Leger bandage-type bodice, with a very large piece of cotton sewn to the bottom of it in a huge circle skirt. In the pic that I’m supposed to work from for this project, the skirt fabric looks like it’s been wasting away in the back of a closet for about 18 months, it’s so creased. And the ‘bandages’ of the bodice are AWOL.
My quote for labour/design was deemed acceptable, and I was given a bag with the goodies you see above:
- about 1.7m of waistband elastic for the bandage bodice
- 3m of 115cm wide very lightweight poly crepe (pictured on the left)
- 3m of 150cm wide heavy jersey for the lining (pictured on the right)
The dress is supposed to be a pullover dress – no zipper or other openings, thank you!
I have been avoiding this, but today is the first fitting.
I am not working with anything else so I must make magic from these fabrics. I really don’t know how I’m going to copy that bandage bodice, which is why I’m loathe to tackle this project, so wish me luck.
The skirt will be a piece of cake, I’m sure – a simple A-line jersey lining with a double-width gathered poly crepe skirt stitched directly to the waistband elastic.
The bodice will require samples, trial, error and something called faking it.
I hope it works…