DD3 has wanted big, oversized plaid shirts for a while, but we’ve not been able to find any that both fit properly and that she liked. And, since she’s taller and much more shapely than most 13-year-olds, it just is a whole lot easier to make clothes for her. Initially she was going to do the sewing after I did the cutting, but that wasn’t happening as the weeks passed, so I just decided to get on with the project and let her finish them by sewing on the buttons.
She shopped my pattern stash and decided on the boyfriend shirt from Burda’s 2013 February issue.
I asked if she wanted interesting touches like a bias front binding, or bias cuffs or a bias back yoke.
No. Plain as day. Nothing
interesting fancy. Thanks, Mom!
But I cheated. I deliberately offset the front bands on both shirts, although it fit the check pattern perfectly in the blue.
And added a bias pocket to the blue check.
From these photos you can see how much wearing ease there is in this design. I did a 2cm FBA by cutting away the seam allowance spreading the front armscye, hinging at the outer shoulder point.
And I decided on a bias yoke simply because it meant no matching stress. Lots of room in the back. The red fabric is a rayon, and it hangs beautifully. The blue is a cotton flannel.
I’m stating the obvious, but this is not a fitted shirt, so DD3 usually wears it open over a tee or tank.
I have nothing special to say about this straight-forward pattern. The sleeve plackets are a simple bias binding, not a fancy placket. I must say, though, as someone who is used to the very precise markings on a Vogue collar/stand pattern, Burda leaves a lot to be desired. These collars took a lot of checking and double-checking because there was no point on the collar stand marked where the collar edge should be. Just a personal (slight) annoyance. Vogue spoils their sewists with their markings, that’s for sure.