White Linen

I’ve finished one of my three UFO’s!  This was originally supposed to be DD3’s Easter dress three – read it:  not one, not two, but THREE – years ago.  But I never got around to finishing up the smocking or the embroidery.  I was just not motivated.DSCN0378The dress pattern is from AS&E #74, and was originally sized up to a 7.  I find that the Australian kids sizes are quite a bit bigger than US or European kids sizes.  DD3 is really a size 10, but can still squeeze into this dress, although it’s a bit short on her.  Needless to say, it’s going into the heirloom closet.

DSCN0379It’s white linen with cotton smocking and embroidery.  The original version has embroidered short tulip sleeves with piping and a piped embroidered peter pan collar, but I left them off because I thought it looked better without them.

DSCN0380

There’s a belt instead of the usual big long ties for a big bow at the back.  It’s a nice touch and suite the clean lines of the dress.  Although I really couldn’t be bothered to be a perfectionist about matching the widths of the belts since it involved turning one of them inside out and ripping out the piping and redoing it, it’s done, and that’s the end of it.  I’m annoyed it’s not perfect, but I am not redoing it now.

DSCN0390The bottom band is a double width of the linen.  I’m happy with the piped and bound armholes and neckline.  I think it ties the whole dress together.  And now that I have buttons, I’ll be finishing up another UFO in the next couple of days. Yay!