I always love hearing from Miss V with her cheerful announcement that she’s got a bag of fabric that needs to be turned into clothes. She is back from Cambodia for a few months, and needs new clothes. What fun for the both of us. Here’s a catalogue of what she has added to her wardrobe this time ’round.
First, a plaid blouse, base pattern Burda 9/2010 #110. Believe it or not, this was the first Burda pattern I ever made. It seemed like a good place to start for the shawl collared sleeveless knit top that needed to be copied. Never mind that this fabric is a poly woven. The blouse has a lot of wearing ease, so I just cut off the fronts at the CF, omitting the overlap of the pattern.
Then I added a band, about 4 inches wide, cut on the straight grain to the bottom of the blouse, leaving a 4-inch gap between ends at the left side seam.
This simple shift dress is Miss V’s favourite. I use Vogue 9595 with a mock wrap sarong that I copied from one of her dresses. It has a hidden welt pocket.
This next dress is my least favourite, and imho, a fabric disaster. It’s not only a sheet, but the weirdest sheeting fabric ever. I’m sure it must be a 70/30 polycotton mix, and it’s as light as a voile. Anways, she’s pleased with it, although I’m not. The bodice is Burda 2/2011 #101, the first iteration of which you can see here.
I had originally put on a dirndl skirt, but she didn’t like that, so I substituted in the A-line version of Sewaholic’s Cambie with pockets. I confess to doing a less-than-stellar job of accurate cutting. *sigh*
Now this sweet little number is none other than the free Marfy 1913, lengthened into a dress. If you search Google images, you’ll see a entire world of versions of this great pattern. I added side seam pockets and lined it.
This orange striped polycotton jumped right out of her bag of goodies and screamed, “SUNDRESS!!!” I used Burda 9/2014 #130, which is the basic bodice associated with DD1’s recent LBD.
The skirt’s pleats are all edgestitched, both on the inside and outside to keep the pleats in place after laundering, and to prevent the fullness of the skirt flying up in the wind. I cut an A-line lining and attached it to the skirt using thread chains. Apparently it’s quite windy in Cambodia, and flying skirts aren’t an option!
Here’s another version of Marfy 1913, with side hemline vents and a side zipper in addition to it’s CB opening. It can be worn outside the trousers, or tucked in.
The trousers are Vogue 2064, which I used to re-make a sari Miss V brought last time. The pattern is for jerseys, but I find sizing up one size takes care of the negative ease and makes the pattern work for wovens. Miss V wanted a dramatic waist sash with a bow to finish it off. I’m really sorry the only photos I have of this outfit on the dress form. The fabric is quite stunning in person.
And that’s all, for this round of Miss V’s sewing. Keep stitching!