Here’s a view of the in seam pockets. I wasn’t sure about keeping them inseam, but decided I would leave them as is instead of changing them to welt pockets. I added pocket stays to keep them from flopping around and extra organza strips to reinforce the pocket edges as they are just off grain and I don’t want the openings to stretch out of shape. I also added 3-inch (10 cm) wide strips of Harris tweed to the front pocket lining pieces to limit the view of the very shiny kasha lining.I am going to pick stitch the edges to keep all the allowances, organza and interfacing in place.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Hmmm…. well, I read through the instructions and understood where they were going, but I disagreed with the theory, so to speak, so struck out on my own.
First, the pockets are in-seam side pockets. I completely disregarded Burda’s instructions for the right side. They suggested sewing the side seam above and below the pocket opening, pinning the pockets to the opening and then stitching them into the seam. WHAT?! My tutoring by Vogue Patterns during the 80’s told me that was not the way to do it. Here’s what I did:
- Stitch one pocket piece to front and back with right sides of fabric together, matching markings. Use a narrow 1/4” (6mm) seam. Press seam toward pocket.
- Stitch side seams, continuing around the pocket, pivoting at the corners.
- Turn pocket toward the front, clip the back seam allowance above and below the pocket. Press.
Second, the shorts have a invisible side zipper inserted into the left pocket. I did follow their directions for this step, which were straightforward. It did the job, but the execution was rough. I may try a different method for the second pair awaiting stitching. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? DD1 really liked the ties.
Fabric Used: printed cotton voile from my stash and stretch cotton poplin for the waistband as there wasn’t enough cotton voile.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made no design changes, although I did change how I put the pattern together, as already noted. And I left off the back patch pockets – there wasn’t enough fabric to match the print, and I didn’t want to make them look schlapped together with mismatched patch pockets. I know it’s a very casual style, but somehow I just couldn’t bring myself to have mismatched patch pockets on the back…..
Conclusion: These are kinda cute. DD1 thinks they’re wonderful, and is awaiting the second installment. It’s an easy pattern to put together, and they look comfortable to wear. I’d recommend this to anyone wanting a simple pair of shorts to sew tonight and worn tomorrow!