Interfacing conundrum

facing edge

Do you ever hem and haw indefinitely about what interfacing to use for a project?  I’ll confess I usually don’t.  I test scraps and decide on the support that I want.  Fast decision based on results.  Except when I sew with silk.

I interfaced my BLTN blouse with silk organza. The satin silk chiffon I used for the blouse didn’t need a crisp amount of support, so the silk organza worked wonderfully.  I like how it made for clean crisp buttonholes.  It provides adequate support for the buttons.

sleeve tabs

I used a double layer of organza in the front facing, extending only to the CF of the facing.   I used the same double layer of organza in the collar stand and the collar.

organza facing

The second layer of organza is stitched to the first down the centre front of each piece.organza CF seam

Each interfacing piece was stitched right sides together with the facings, turned, understitched and pressed.  This provided a really nice finish for the inside of the blouse.

organza facing complete

What to use for this project was a bit of a conundrum for me. I confess I have this heebie-jeebie thing about fusing unknown gluey kinds of products to silk.  I know interfacings are all good and dandy and so much improved from what they used to be eons ago. I also know that fusibles are the most popular interfacings out there.

But I just can’t bring myself to heat up glue to attach interfacing fabric to silk for some unknown reason. I think I’m afraid it will eventually ruin the silk. I mean, what exactly is in the glue, anyway? Is it silk-friendly? So I inevitably create a lot more work when I have a silk project on the go, because I will always use a sew-in interfacing.

Does anyone else have this problem hesitation to fuse silk?  And if you don’t could you please share your experience and reasons with me?

Advertisements

Cut, sewn & worn in an afternoon

Butterick 5421

DD1 needed a formal and full black skirt for her concert attire.  She plays the harp.  I had ordered a skirt for her online, but the darn thing hadn’t shown up by this morning, so I toddled off (in an early morning daze) to the fabric store so she could have one by the time she came home from school today.

I chose Butterick 5421 because DD1 wanted something classic and long.  And Butterick patterns were on sale when I walked into the store.  And so was everything else – a whopping 50% off everything if you were a Fabricland Club member (I am).  Bad bad timing to be only looking for black crepe.  I came away with some beee-yew-ti-ful silks.  No idea what I’m going to do with them at this point, but I’ve got them in my stash (so much for stash bustin’!)

Well, back to the point of this post:  the black skirt.  I chose polyester satin-backed crepe for the skirt since DD1 wanted something “flowy, not crisp”.  I chose not to line it. It has no waistband, only facings, which are interfaced, and I wanted to share my little tip for finishing the edges of interfaced facings neatly.

  1. Cut the interfacing (preferably fusible) for each facing piece.
  2. With right sides together, stitch interfacing to facing along lower edge in narrow 1/4 inch seam.
  3. Trim seam allowance to scant 1/8 of an inch.
  4. Open up the two pieces from the right side of the facing fabric.
  5. Press the interfacing over the seam allowance being careful not to wrinkle interfacting or press it to the ironing board cover!
  6. Carefully turn interfacing to wrong side of facing and fuse into place.

Here’s the finished edge of the facing from the right and wrong sides.  Nice and neat!

Now it’s your turn……  🙂