I love fall. I love all the colours as they change, and the different shades that the changing light provides on the same tree throughout the day. They make me happy!
My top is a mix of Vogue 1412‘s front bodice, the back bodice from Burdastyle 09/2019 #111, and the sleeves from Burdastyle 09/2010 #136. I didn’t know what to do with this fabric, so I draped it around my sewing area on and off for what seems like a good 12 months, trying different ideas, laying out different patterns (not enough fabric), trying to work around a pattern repeat that I ended up completely ignoring, and generally second-guessing myself until I was struck by lightening (or courage), and laid out the pattern for the front bodice and started cutting. I would have preferred to use Vogue 1412’s back bodice, too, but I didn’t have enough fabric and wanted a more fitted back.
This is the third version of Vogue 1412 that I’ve made. I really like the front neckline, although this iteration, due to the slightly dropped shoulders of the back, and because I didn’t stabilize the shoulder seams, required a shoulder pleat, extending from a dart in the upper back through to a pleat in the front. It’s quite hidden with the busy pattern, but if you look closely, you can see it.
The fabric is a treat. It has a very fine herringbone weave, which just makes this that much more luxurious.
And it goes with so many different items in my wardrobe, just because of all the wonderful colours.
This is probably my fifth pair of Burda 01/2016 #135, the skinny jeans with the interesting seaming details. I have worn this brown pair to the point of the colour fading, so I over-dyed it with Rit in my front loading washing machine and couldn’t be happier with the result. They don’t look faded and yucky! 🙂
This is my second version of the Rebecca Taylor top from Vogue 1412, this time in crepe de chine. The trousers are Burda 12/2011 #133 in a polyester crepe from very deep stash, and fully lined in bemberg.This is the inside of the blouse front once the buttonholes and buttons have been finished. This shows the true colours of the silk.
It’s a rather spring-coloured outfit, but I thought I’d share the makes even if it’s autumn.
I really like this top pattern, having made it twice. (The trousers are comfy, too. I made another pair in linen, which I’ll share later.)
Sometimes you hope fabric and pattern design work out, and you end up with a winner. This is a winner, in my books. The fabric is from my stash, and again, it’s from EmmaOneSock’s roll end page. It’s a lovely silk chiffon with a myriad of colours – my favourite fabric for tops because they will coordinate with any number of bottoms, colourwise, anyways.
There’s only two reviews for this blouse (View B) on Pattern Review, and I cannot figure out why. Maybe the style isn’t for everyone, or the pattern version is off-putting? Anyways, I love my version! I did find the instructions for the front a little bit confusing the first time I read through them, but I told myself that if I can decipher BurdaStyle’s cryptic English translations, then I could do this.
Here’s the inside of the front before the folding, buttons and buttonholes have been completed. I used silk organza for a stabilizer, something Vogue doesn’t suggest, which is ridiculous if you’re adding buttons and buttonholes.
This is what the front looks like once it’s all been completed while being worn.
I did a sloped forward shoulder adjustment and an FBA. And I’m pretty chuffed about how I managed to match the bands of colour for this top. There were literally unusable scraps left.
Oh, and the trousers are the first pair of the slim Burda 01/2016 #135 trio that I made; this pair is made from a stretch cotton sateen purchased at my local Fabricland. I absolutely love the quality of this fabric.
And, just because I hated the samples of the machine-stitched narrow hem, I did this shirt by hand.
Still need a lot of practice, even if this is macro shot!