When I found the wool/tencel jersey mentioned in my last post, there were 5 colours available: dark brown, brown, grey, ice blue and lime green. DD3 fell head-over-heels in love with the ice blue.
So I made her own version of Burda 6838, at her request.
Here’s the back view. You can see how lightweight the jersey is in this photo.
DD3 requested a matching camisole for extra coverage, so I cut one out of the remnants using the slip pattern from an OOP Donna Karan pattern, Vogue 2874…
…and slap-dashed it together for her.
DD3’s feedback? It’s warm, comfortable and she *LOVES* the colour.
This is the final piece of my LATH wardrobe. I wanted to use up the little bit of chiffon left over from trimming the various pieces in this wardrobe. I was hoping that it would be dark enough to not require a cami. It’s a cute little top. It just fit on about 1 yard of fabric. It’s the cover top on the English version of the April 2011 Burda magazine. There’s three tops (nos. 112 – 114) that are essentially the same with minor variations in finishing. I chose to use the longer length (model 112), but finish it as per the instructions for model 114 (above) with neckline and armscye facings. I didn’t want raw edges.I used silk organza to interface the facings, but after facing the neck edge, I decided against doing anything other than bias facing for the armholes.The organza had just that little bit extra body that didn’t quite work for the chiffon in this design. In fact, I ended up cutting out the facing on the front neckline because it wouldn’t lay properly and created more of a funnel-neck look, which I didn’t like, and it just would not lay flat. In the end, it looks better just with the narrow bias facing tacked into place underneath the tiny pleats formed by the neckline gathers. But it does sit high around the base of the neck.I left the facings in on the back neckline.I spotted a roll end at EOS of this gorgeous 4-ply silk crepe to make up a camisole for underneath this. What a dream fabric. I had exactly 60cm of fabric (a little over half a yard) for this cami. I considered another Ruby, but decided against the seamed bodice, and chose the simple bias slip in this OOP Vogue 2784 by Donna Karan. I managed to cut the front and back with a length 3 inches below the drafted waistline, which was a little short. So I pieced together bias pieces for a band around the lower edge.Works well, the added length is perfect, and it’s that little something that was missing under the chiffon top. I’m thinking I can wear both of these tops with other pieces in my closet and not limit them to LATH wear, too.
Well, folks, that’s a wrap! I didn’t get every piece of the Burda capsule made, but there are enough pieces here to keep me lounging nicely for a while. Until soon!