Well, what do you think? I was so dreading this project because of the sheer size of it and the amount of fabric and the stripes! I have no idea how to make drapes! But they turned out reasonably well, … Continue reading →
Well, here is one full panel of my pinch pleat bespoke drapes. Now they need to be hung and “dressed”, which translates into this:The panels get hung and shaped into the pleats in which they will hang, tied loosely together, and then they cure, much like we cure bias before sewing it up. I’ve read varying pieces of advice. Some books say 72 hours, others say 48. I’ll be curing mine during the day, since I really want to move out of my living room and back into the bedroom. That’s the valance hanging on the closet door. I had originally hoped there would be enough fabric to make the drapes ceiling to floor length, but, as you can see, there wasn’t. So the valance and curtain rod will be hung about 4 inches lower tomorrow.
Once the pleats were marked and stitched by machine into place, I pinched them into two pleats and tacked them at the bottom of the heading.This is the inside of the heading. Once the lining was stitched to the bottoms … Continue reading →
This was the hardest part so far of this project. Of course I made it REALLY hard by choosing striped fabric. And stripes/patterns are not always my friends. I’ve wadded more projects over mismatched patterns or poor pattern placement than … Continue reading →
The lining was measured, cut and joined to match the drapery fabric. Now I’m using long basting stitches to attach the lining to drape itself. The next leg of the project is attaching the lining to the drapery along the … Continue reading →
This is all I’ve done today, what with summer activities and the time involved for this project. I’m using a catch stitch – or, in drapery language, a herringbone stitch – for the hems. And I’m very thankful for my … Continue reading →
We are slowly renovating our entire little bungalow. My goal is to have a 1950’s bungalow-sized Fabergé egg house, only it won’t be so spectacular on the exterior. I want a bejewelled interior that I will love to inhabit for the long haul. To that end we’ve redone our kitchen, the girls’ bedrooms and have just laid the new floor and re-painted in mine. The living room is coming together piece by piece…
But right now I need to make my drapes. I didn’t have enough faith in my sewing skills to do a shaped valance, so I paid a professional to do that. (Hey, it was velvet and I really don’t know what I’m doing with drapery, OK?)
I’ve had this fabric in my stash, awaiting this day for almost two years. Today I finally hauled it out and laid it out and measured, cut and joined it.And because I’m new to this and don’t want to make a mistake that can’t be undone, I’m taking my time. A lot of time. Like 4 hours of time just to get the cutting and joining right. Tomorrow I’ll start hemming the bottoms and the sides.
Well, the curtains are finished. Actually, they’ve been sitting on one of the sewing tables waiting for the crowns to be adjusted. My camera does weird things with perspective. Anyways, the problem is a long story. You see, this is not what I usually sew, and I don’t always measure or understand the math involved in proper pattern making as some of you well know. This flaw spilled into this project. The curtain headings are 4 inches deep, which is the depth of the crown. The original eye screws were put into moulding at 1/2 inch intervals, 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the crown. But my drapery hooks are 1 inch long, so you smart readers will know that the bottom 1/2 inch of the hooks will be peeking out below the moulding. But I had to sew them up and hang them before I realized this. I solicited DH’s help, and he glued 2-inch blocks of wood inside the crown and has re-screwed the eyes up higher. So now, all is good in the bed curtain world, and we have this:
DD1 slept, for the first time, in her be-curtained bed and informed me this morning that she likes the curtains because they can be adjusted for privacy and light control. I’m glad they’re a success.
And my dear eldest painted this lovely scene from Barbie and the Island Princess for the bedroom door plaque. She’ll be stringing DD2 and 3’s names painted in flourishes underneath for the finishing touches.In my last post I commented that I was pencil pleating these curtains by hand. I suppose I could have used the readily available pleating tape, but I wanted perfect control of the pleats, and I didn’t trust the tape. Besides, I find sewing by hand extremely relaxing.
Well, this home decor project is finished, and if you thought doing pencil pleats by hand was more work than a home decor project is worth, you’ll think I’ve really gone off the deep end for the next project. :D
I’m making bed canopy curtains for DD2 and DD3’s bedroom. I’m bereft of any ability to decorate space, so I hired a designer, and two years later, we’re finally putting the room together. It’s “Barbie and the Island Princess” themed … Continue reading →
As promised, here’s some camo! My youngest saw the baby blue camo and wanted capris. I purchased enough to make shorts, too, and sewed those up first using Burda 7/2013 #105. Let’s just say I shouldn’t have deviated from the … Continue reading →